David McNeil, Associate Professor, Dalhousie (1984-2018)
"MacNeil" Surname and R-L165 (S68) Y-DNA: R1b1a2a1a1b5b. mtDNA: H Projects: kit no. 206620
"Ultimately the life of a man is of no greater importance to the universe than the life of an oyster." Hume, from Essays ... (1783 ed.)
Cell (902) 441-8087 IM. Skype dmcneil55
Status: Retired from Dalhousie (as of July 1, 2018)
- Early Modern Spectatorship: Interpreting English Culture, 1500-1780. Montreal/Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press, 2019. Order at MQUP.
- Biography of Gerry McNeil & Sports Media History, In the Pressure of the Moment: Remembering Gerry McNeil -- Press Release
. Order from your local bookstore or online (Indigo).
Author donates $500 to KidSport as the first instalment of proceeds of In the Pressure of the Moment to the National Organization dedicated to the involvement of children in organized sport.
Thanks to all those who came out for the Book Tour!!
Press Coverage and Events for In the Pressure of the Moment
Teaching and Research Interests
- SCANS (Seniors' College Association of Nova Scotia, Classes on Hockey and Canadian Culture and on Satire
from Juvenal to Stephen Colbert
- Spectatorship in Early Modern England. (with Ron Huebert) See book above and Engl. 5276 below
- Restoration and Eighteenth-Century Literature
- Jacobitism (specifically the Memoirs of the Chevalier James Johnstone (with Drïss Aissaoui)
- murals (narrativity and self-likenesses), British Murals Subgroup
- Teaching in an WWW environment
- Satire, the novel, Sports Literature (Hockey)
- Sports Photography
- Fictionalization of America (the eighteenth-century English novel)
- War and the Arts
- South Sea Bubble (The Bubble Project)
- theory of the Spectacle (Debord's The Society of the Spectacle (1967); see also the film, and Comments on the Society of the Spectacle (1988)
- Hockey in Print (HIP): Bibliography of Writing on Hockey, over 900 items! Searchable (use the FIND function on your Browser).
- Selected Publications
- Recent Conference Papers
- Other Lectures/Presentations/Interviews
- Satire - SCANS Fall 2020, ZOOM Webinar
- Hockey and Canadian Culture - SCANS Winter 2020
- Dalhousie, Engl. 1000.06 - "Introduction to Literature,"
- Dalhousie, Engl. 1020 - "Introduction to Poetry and Drama,"
- Dalhousie, Engl. 2029 - Framed Narratives
- Dalhousie, Engl. 2060.03, Sec. 01 (Regular) -"Sports Literature and Culture: Hockey," This class is usually offered in a regular format and online.
- Dalhousie, Engl. 2218 - "Gothic Fiction"
- Dalhousie, Engl. 2230 - "Satire,"
- Dalhousie, Engl. 3017 - "English Poetry and Prose: 1660-1740"
- Dalhousie, Engl. 3022 - "English Fiction to 1820"
- Dalhousie, Engl. 4608 - "Swift and His Age,"
- Dalhousie, Engl. 4822.03 - "Literature and Revolution (1660-1800)"
- Dalhousie, Engl. 5276 - "Spectatorship in the Early Modern England," (online option available)
- Dalhousie, Engl. 5306 - "Restoration Theatre"
- Dalhousie, Engl. 5316 - "Studies in the Eighteenth-Century Novel: Comic Fiction,"
- Dalhousie, Engl. 5317 - Desire and the Eighteenth-Century Novel
- Dalhousie, Engl. 5355 - Popular Culture and the Eighteenth Century
- Dalhousie, Engl. 5355 - "Popular Literature (Culture) and History,"
- Saint Mary's University, Engl. 4457 (SMU) "Advanced American: Contemporary Non-Fictional Prose"
Complete CV (July 2020) PDF Format:
Complete CV (July 2020)
- The music of Ennio Morricone
- Under the Influence--Terry O'Reilly's brilliant take on advertising and marketing.
- Melody Gardot
- Revolutions Mike Duncan on the English, American, French, Haitian, and South American revolutions (1640-1825).
- Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death (excellent analysis of the emphasis on spectacle and entertainment in contemporary society); Forward
- David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest
- , especially The Gold Rush
- Dirt Road to Victory, The Adam Hewey Band
... the will, existence itself, is a constant suffering, and is partly woeful, partly fearful. The same thing, on the other hand, as representation alone, purely contemplated, or repeated through art, free from pain,
presents us with a significant spectacle. The World as Will and Representation I.52
For the Stephen Hawking version of the poor chances for the human race, see the following article.
- The Roar returns--Hawks win the 2010 Cup!
an endless orgasm of the heart.
Hawks win again in 2013--another endless orgasm of the heart.
Okay--a third, overlaid, endless orgasm of the heart.
Last Updated: February 25, 2021